Written by: Sandra Levy-Valensi, Dermal Therapist at Aspire Medispa Perth
We often think to look after our skin and practice good habits to protect it from the harmful effects of sunlight during the summer but in winter we have a tendency to forget how the cold and the humidity can be straining.
The cold aggresses your skin by attacking its hydrolipidic film. Consisting mainly of sweat, sebum and water, this film covers the entire surface of your skin and protects it as a shield against external aggression. Thanks to him your skin retains flexibility and hydration.
With the wind, rain, snow, cold and indoor heating, your skin becomes dry, tingling and taut. For this reason simple care habits tailored to your skin type will help pass the winter without damage.
Rituals and habits to develop to protect your skin:
Here are my expert advices and tips for you to keep your skin radiant, smooth and hydrated during the winter season.
- A non-cleansed skin is a skin that doesn’t breath because its pores are clogged. It is simply out of the question to ignore cleansing your face!
- Depending on your skin type and condition, you can choose a milk, gel, foaming cleanser or micellar water.
- In winter, you might need to change your moisturiser. Mild formulas are rather suited to summer, a richer and more nourishing formula can comfort your skin to face winter conditions.
- Thinner more fragile skin of the lips also needs to be preserved.
- A moisturising lip balm to keep in your bag and apply daily, as soon as you remember, is essential!
- In winter, it is essential to hydrate and nourish your skin. If cosmetics are privileged allies, we must not forget that the secret to healthy skin is on your plate! For healthy skin, choose fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants: they will help to fight against free radicals – one of the main causes of aging.
- Drink water: during the winter season, hot drinks are particularly pleasant because they are comforting. Whilst providing hydration, they allow you to warm up faster. However avoid excess alcohol and caffeine that can dehydrate your body.
All this care will enable you to have beautiful skin in winter … and radiant skin for summer!